Inflammation reduction is often misunderstood. On the one hand, when we suffer from bites from
insects and spiders or snakes, the area around the bite becomes reddish and inflamed, telling us that our immune system is fighting on our behalf. We often take anti-inflammatory medications to reduce the swelling and pain that result from them.
The same happens when we twist an ankle or sprain a wrist or scrape an arm and it gets infected. Bruising and inflammation occur around the injured sites. After treatment, we know when we’re getting better when the swelling or inflammation begins to fade.
On the other hand, inflammation in parts of your body may signal that your body needs help to prevent chronic diseases from over-taking your body. Those who eat foods that cause inflammation can help themselves by not eating inflammatory foods.
Inflammatory Foods that will Erode Your Health Over Time Include:
- Processed foods: potato chips and fast food
- Refined carbs: white breads, white rice, crackers, and biscuits
- Fried foods: fries, fried chicken, and mozzarella sticks
- Sugar-sweetened beverages: soda, sweet tea, and sports drinks
- Processed meats: bacon, ham, and hot dogs
- Trans fats: shortening and margarine
Food and spices that reduce inflammation in your body will help you become healthier and more energetic. Inflammation anywhere in our bodies is a warning sign and should be heeded.
Inflammation reduction or eliminating inflammation altogether is a good way to ward off chronic diseases and stay healthy. Eating foods and spices that are anti-inflammatory makes sense then.
Good Anti-inflammatory Foods Include:
- Berries – including strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. blackberries
- Fatty Fish – including Salmon, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel, and Anchovies – Although all types of fish contain some omega-3 fatty acids, these fatty fish are among the best sources:
- Cruciferous vegetables like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Kale and Cabbage – Studies have demonstrated that eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables is associated with a decreased risk of heart disease and cancer
- Avocados – Avocados are packed with potassium, magnesium, fiber, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats
- Green Tea – Make sure it’s a good clean clear green tea – Research has found that drinking it is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, obesity, and other conditions
- Bell Peppers and Chili Peppers – Bell peppers and chili peppers are loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants that have powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
- Mushrooms – truffles, Portobello mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms – A special type of mushroom called lion’s mane may potentially reduce low grade inflammation related to obesity. However, one study found that cooking mushrooms lowered their anti-inflammatory compounds significantly. Thus, it may be best to eat them raw or lightly cooked.
- Grapes – they may decrease the risk of several diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer’s, and eye disorders.
- Turmeric – in supplement form with curcumin (the active ingredient in Turmeric) or the spice itself. The supplement may be more effective. Curcumin supplements are often combined with piperine, which can boost curcumin absorption by 2,000% Studies have demonstrated that turmeric reduces inflammation related to arthritis, diabetes, and other diseases .
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – one of the healthiest fats you can eat. It’s rich in monounsaturated fats and a staple in the Mediterranean diet, which provides numerous health benefits. Studies link extra virgin olive oil to a reduced risk of heart disease, brain cancer, and other serious health conditions
- Dark Chocolate and Cocoa – packed with antioxidants that help reduce inflammation. These may reduce your risk of disease and lead to healthier aging .
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes are high in vitamin C, potassium, and lycopene, an antioxidant with impressive anti-inflammatory properties. Lycopene may be particularly beneficial for reducing pro-inflammatory compounds related to several types of cancer . Note that cooking tomatoes in olive oil can help you absorb more of their lycopene content.
- Cherries – tart cherries have been studied more than other varieties, sweet cherries also provide benefits.The Harvard Health Review from Harvard Medical School reports that
- Foods that Cause Inflammation
- Best Diet Advice From a Registered Dietician | 7 Recommendations